Tuesday, September 28, 2010

01. Mark Zuckerberg

After seeing the commercials for the upcoming movie, The Social Network, I was under the impression that Mark Zuckerberg was a cruel, malevolent young man who schemed his best friend out of a billion dollar website. However, after reading the article and watching the clip on Oprah, I've come to realize that Mr.Zuckerberg is a very humble, modest man. Or at least that's how Yahoo! Canada portrays him, especially after he announced his $100 million donation to public schools on the philanthropologist's talk show. Which technically now makes him apart of the celebrity do-gooder club, but I wouldn't talk about him amongst the ranks of Bono just yet-- because it's apparent that Mark is actually doing this to benefit the less fortunate and not just ensure that the world keeps revolving around him. Even though the timing of this donation is way too close to the release of his movie to be deemed coincidental, I still think his initiative was genuine. I mean, he's obviously not blowing that money on himself, is he? Take a look at his house in the video for example; it's just a rented out 2-bedroom.
Mark Zuckerberg seems like a really nice guy, and that's why I'm glad that I watched the clip and read the article and consequently happy that I am aware that it is mostly fictional (obviously fabricated for the dramatic effect and cinematic appeal). I mean, I already hate Facebook enough for distracting me from EVERYTHING, but there was no need for me to senselessly hate the creator/CEO of the social network too, lol.

6 comments:

  1. The clip surprised me too. In fact, I never really considered Facebook to have "an inventor". Who invents these kinds of things? Rarely do we consider the inventor of a revolutionary website in the same way that we would consider the inventor of a product, or service. However, Mark Zuckerberg's original idea is revolutionary. The shy, humble, quiet demeanor with which he carries himself is a huge surprise. I don't think I could be that modest if I were worth 6 billion dollars. I certainly wouldn't be living in that house - although it was kinda nice inside wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everytime someone comes up with a new innovation or mind blowing idea I ask myself, "Why the hell couldn't I think of that?"
    Oh well, I'll just have to come up with the next one...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark Zuckerberg does seem like a very humble, modest, and shy man, but usually the shy and quite people are the ones that cause problems. All of us could only try and guess the truth about Mark Zuckerberg, but we will never know what his intentions are until he actually achieves his goal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brittany i agree with you fully at the fact that the movie is just another dramatically filled fiction about someone, just because people always find ways to make money off each other.

    I agree with you that he's a good guy.

    Nice writing, really strong words, keep going, good job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everything you said....*sigh, If only i would have thought of facebook- i wouldnt have to be typing this right now. :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete